Why do this?

My father, José Luis Villamizar Melo, passed away in my home town of Cúcuta, Colombia, in August last year. The law and economics were Dad's profession, but literature, history and academia his passion. He wrote and published several books, articles and book chapters. The thing is that so many people have missed out on his work, particularly on his beautiful poetry, which he wrote in Spanish prior to the world wide web. So I thought, what a better way to keep Dad's legacy alive than to bring his writing beyond his world and share it with mine. That is why I am translating over 250 of my Dad's poems to English and publishing them here, one a day, Monday to Friday during 2011 (Dad, a family man, always believed that you shouldn't work on weekends).



Monday, January 24, 2011

Or if you want, life can be something different (O si queréis la vida es de otro modo)

Here is a poem that reflects my Dad’s very practical view on life and death.  I don’t remember him ever being afraid of dying.  He actually wrote a lot about his own farewell and spoke about what he would leave us after his departure.  From his book Under the shadow (Poesía de urgencia).

Or if you want, life can be something different (O si queréis la vida es de otro modo)

Because we cannot talk about ‘one life’
when there are so many different lives,

because the word ‘life’ does not only express
what should be firm and strong,

because your life is yours and nobody
should have to know how much it weighs you down, 

because mine, for example, gives me joy one day
and hurts me the next one,

because even the innocence of my verse
does not transcend the sadness of so many people,

because in front of me I have someone who asks life for
the gift of death

now, immediately, in any way,
violently or pleasantly,
faster,

I reiterate my concept of life
as something that each possesses
and loves or detests or simply wears
as a hat or a tie,
and one day takes them off forever.

1 comment:

  1. "because mine, for example, gives me joy one day
    and hurts me the next one,"

    Perfect. A perfect way to express what it is like to be alive.

    ReplyDelete