Why do this?

My father, José Luis Villamizar Melo, passed away in my home town of Cúcuta, Colombia, in August last year. The law and economics were Dad's profession, but literature, history and academia his passion. He wrote and published several books, articles and book chapters. The thing is that so many people have missed out on his work, particularly on his beautiful poetry, which he wrote in Spanish prior to the world wide web. So I thought, what a better way to keep Dad's legacy alive than to bring his writing beyond his world and share it with mine. That is why I am translating over 250 of my Dad's poems to English and publishing them here, one a day, Monday to Friday during 2011 (Dad, a family man, always believed that you shouldn't work on weekends).



Friday, April 29, 2011

The dream of the wines (El sueño de los vinos)


Last day at Monash University.  I’m moving on to other pastures after a ten-year love affair.  Not without looking back with a smile and feeling like part of me is lost.  From my Dad’s book Twilight theory (Teoría del crepúsculo). 

The dream of the wines (El sueño de los vinos)

I am finishing the wine that you gave me.
The red wine of love,
the blue wine of our dreams.

I am finishing the wine of dreams.
And of yours and mine
take possession the shadows
of the days that are now another time.

Dreams like freezing rose bushes
(Blue is not blue from a distance).

Wine in your smile is your sadness
and the landscape overwhelmed
by the first sparkles of the night
is the memory of the red wine,
of the blue wine of our dreams,
like an impenetrable stain
on the ground damp with wine.

The translucid glass that inebriates me
will fall off my hand inevitably.
The shape that I see in the mirrors
a thousand shapes will be tormented
in a memory of tiny crystals.

No comments:

Post a Comment