Why do this?

My father, José Luis Villamizar Melo, passed away in my home town of Cúcuta, Colombia, in August last year. The law and economics were Dad's profession, but literature, history and academia his passion. He wrote and published several books, articles and book chapters. The thing is that so many people have missed out on his work, particularly on his beautiful poetry, which he wrote in Spanish prior to the world wide web. So I thought, what a better way to keep Dad's legacy alive than to bring his writing beyond his world and share it with mine. That is why I am translating over 250 of my Dad's poems to English and publishing them here, one a day, Monday to Friday during 2011 (Dad, a family man, always believed that you shouldn't work on weekends).



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Voices in my silence (Voces en el silencio)

Tonight I have migrated from performer to faithful audience member.   From my Dad’s book Urgent poetry (Poesía de urgencia), with all my love for Low Rez and with a slight change in the title, which now belongs to me.

Voices in my silence (Voces en el silencio)

Every instant I perceive the precise echo
of the multiple inner voices,
those that talk to the safety of silence
and between loneliness and oblivion.
This way the world is one in the unity
of a secret locked with a key
and the uneven word that tells it,
natural, with stammering utterances,
echo of realities now inoffensive
and that yesterday considered misfortunes.
For example tonight I would have written
your beloved and remembered name,
but my verse is only reached
by the memories, the distant echo
of the grieving inner voices
that hit me inside relentlessly like a hammer,
without hope, without rest,
even though the effort is useless because
they will not destroy the dreams that now occupy
the conspicuous silence of my hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment