Why do this?

My father, José Luis Villamizar Melo, passed away in my home town of Cúcuta, Colombia, in August last year. The law and economics were Dad's profession, but literature, history and academia his passion. He wrote and published several books, articles and book chapters. The thing is that so many people have missed out on his work, particularly on his beautiful poetry, which he wrote in Spanish prior to the world wide web. So I thought, what a better way to keep Dad's legacy alive than to bring his writing beyond his world and share it with mine. That is why I am translating over 250 of my Dad's poems to English and publishing them here, one a day, Monday to Friday during 2011 (Dad, a family man, always believed that you shouldn't work on weekends).



Thursday, August 11, 2011

That old prayer (Esa vieja oración)



Tonight, my Dad’s gives us his own take on The Lord’s Prayer (also called the Pater Noster or Our Father), a central piece of Christianity.  From his book Twilight theory (Teoría del crepúsculo).

That old prayer (Esa vieja oración)

My Father
who art in the celestial dwelling
of my soul,
I greet you
with the most loving
voice of a brother;
hallowed be your name!

Tell me the location of your kingdom;
I will try to reach it,
invite me! I beg you.

Give me, and give also
to others,
a little
of your daily bread.

Forgive my offenses
and encourage me to practise with the neighbour
that vital and difficult exercise.

Give me a brimming soul,
if possible one with powerful wings,
to cross, without blemish,
crippling turbulences
and one day transcend the absolute
then be free of all evil,
amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment