Why do this?

My father, José Luis Villamizar Melo, passed away in my home town of Cúcuta, Colombia, in August last year. The law and economics were Dad's profession, but literature, history and academia his passion. He wrote and published several books, articles and book chapters. The thing is that so many people have missed out on his work, particularly on his beautiful poetry, which he wrote in Spanish prior to the world wide web. So I thought, what a better way to keep Dad's legacy alive than to bring his writing beyond his world and share it with mine. That is why I am translating over 250 of my Dad's poems to English and publishing them here, one a day, Monday to Friday during 2011 (Dad, a family man, always believed that you shouldn't work on weekends).



Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Digression at dawn (Divagación en el crepúsculo)


A beautifully playful game of words that illustrates the colourful soul of a man who felt each feeling to the limit. From my Dad’s book Twilight theory (Teoría del crepúsculo).

Digression at dawn (Divagación en el crepúsculo)

I used to know this afternoon,
but now I enter it with great caution,
its shores still lit up
with the gold of the deer’s sun
its silence filled with rumours,
of sleepy leaves and birds
and trembling stars on the tips
of the pines that rest and dream.

Oh grieving dawn,
end of a journey of light,
light that commences the cycle of its sleep
and sleep that is the sum of the light
of the stars with which
the profound plenitude of the night begins.

I used to know this afternoon
and I enter it devotedly. The melancholy
makes me company through the gardens;
and in each rose merely blossoming
I feel the love that emerges from the earth
and the certainty that tomorrow
on the defenceless temple of each rose
there will be a pure drop of morning dew.

No comments:

Post a Comment